Sunday, April 7, 2013

Learning to draw on the ipad

Sorry about the lack of posts, but I assure you I have been busy. There is a lot of experimenting done over the past month with drawing on the ipad. I have traditionally not done computer assisted drawing and have found it to be a challenging, but exciting, process. Computer drawing is different, as is stylus drawing, but there are a lot more options (for cheap!) than my poor collection of physical drawing tools can offer.

Onto the pictures, here are my first attempts to draw with Sketchbook Express:

One of the interesting elements of ipad drawing is how many colouring tools are available to play with:

I traditionally don't colour and must admit that having the ability to remove mistakes in colouring have increased my courage in using it.

(I told the witch doctor)

Erasing is probably secondary to the layering which allows for some interesting compositions. You have to think differently when your drawing is broken up on a series of sheets which can interact in untraditional ways

I played long enough with Sketchbook Express (free) to decide to buy the Pro. The extra tools are intimidating, but worth it. It caters to longer works rather than sketches, so I don't have as many complete works in it yet. More to come

The other ipad app that I have been playing a lot with is Paper from 53. It is a very quick sketching app. It is more in my wheelhouse and allows for quick sketches, but doesn't have layers.

Looney tunes?

The water colour tools really helps to setup simple, textured backgrounds.

What? Me worry?

Random Final Fantasy character

'A robot
'Andromeda strain bio hazard suit
'A mouse
'Final Fantasy fan art
Rocking out (did this in two minutes, paper is fast)
The artist painting the artist
Farmer

A long post, but I will be more organize about posting after finishing. The being to have more posts.

See you soon!

Scott

 

No comments:

Post a Comment